The origins of Burley Geach can be traced back to the end of the nineteenth century when a partnership was established in Petersfield between Percy Burley and Mr Prior. Originally located at 27 Lavant Street, Petersfield, the firm moved to its current location in Swan Street in the late 1920s. At this time, with Percy Burley being Petersfield’s Superintendent Registrar, the premises in Swan Street were also used regularly for wedding ceremonies on Saturday mornings.
Robert Geach joined the practice at the end of the First World War and the firm continued to expand during the 1920s. At this time there was an emphasis on providing legal services to local builders, land owners and farmers in the district, something which the firm is proud to continue today alongside its individual and business related services.
Around 1930, when Percy Burley’s son, Leslie, joined the firm a new office was opened in West Street, Haslemere. Richard Burley, the grandson of Percy Burley, joined the firm in 1957, introducing tax law as a new area of specialism for the practice. Both offices continued to expand, both in size and practice areas, including the development of a criminal department which was established in 1977 when Richard Baylis was appointed.
In 1983 a further office was opened in Liphook, followed shortly thereafter in 1985 by a presence in Grayshott when the practice of Macpherson & Lawson was acquired (where the firm traded until 2008 as Macphersons Burley & Geach). More recently, in 2006, the practice of A J Bavin in Liphook was secured and then in 2017 Burley & Geach converted to a Limited Liability Partnership and is now known as Burley Geach.